Letti inclinati e albicocche

Thursday, November 23, 2006

In Praise of The Catholic Daughters


Sure I've made fun of them in the past, but let's face it, they're great girls. You know one of the things I like best about them? You can count on them for food.

Today is Thanksgiving, and Tim and I were planning on having dinner with some of the other Americans at Bocconi University. We don't have an oven, so we initially thought turkey might be hard to have. But, a friend of a friend offered to bring a turkey, and stuffing. Hooray! It's Thanksgiving!

But.

At 6:30 p.m. she called and said transporting a cooked turkey is too difficult. So she and her friends aren't coming. Now we're left with more vegetables than we can eat but no turkey and no stuffing. That's a vegan holiday, and we're no vegans. A holiday isn't a holiday without some dead animal to eat. Luckily, I stopped by the grocery store today and bought some dwarf turkeys (i.e. chickens), so we'll have something. But still.

So that's what made me think of the Catholic Daughters. If they said they'd bring me a turkey, I'd know for sure I'd be getting a turkey. They like cooking, and like having people eat the food.

Update: Thanksgiving ended up going very well, after all. Details tomorrow...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

"They like cooking." I'm not sure that's something that is universally attributed to the Catholic Daughters. But we'll take what we can get.

Y'all did miss the big feast at our house Tuesday night, however. Sierra even made dessert kabobs - chocolate covered-strawberries and creampuffs - yum! We'll ahve to do it again when you're back in the States.

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home